Monday, November 26, 2007

When The Psychiatric Cure Is The Disease

When the Psychiatric Cure Is the Disease

A therapy long used to dredge up painful and buried memories might itself traumatize patients and require more treatment to deal with the consequences, write psychology professors Scott O. Lilienfeld and Kelly Lambert in Scientific American Mind. Recovered-memory therapy has come under increasing fire over the past decade and is being used less and less. Its reputation has fallen along with that of the condition it has been most used to treat: multiple-personality disorder—popularized by the early 1970s book and television movie “Sybil.”
depressionThe aim of recovered-memory therapy is to remind people of past traumas, often childhood sexual abuse, using techniques such as hypnotherapy, medication, re-enactments of traumatic moments and isolation from family. In the 1990s, studies suggested such intrusive methods were giving patients memories and multiple personalities that didn’t exist before. (The American Psychiatric Association has dropped multiple-personality disorder as a diagnostic category, replacing it with a slightly different designation known as dissociative-identity disorder.)...... read the rest of the article and the following discussion here.

I point out this article not because I agree with its content. I do not, but the discussion following the article is what is especially worth noting and reading. As a survivor of ritual abuse/mind control, I have never seen an intelligent discussion about this controversial topic in a public mainstream forum and I absolutely applaud the overwhelming response from both responsible, hard working, cutting edge therapists, and survivors of extreme abuse, alike. It is high time this skeleton came out of the closet for open and honest debate.


Here is my comment which joined the other voices speaking out in the discussion following the article:

"I just want to say, WOW! The response and discussion happening around this issue is just astounding to me. Discussion of this controversial topic in a public forum is long overdue.

I just wanted to add my own experience to this discussion. I too, am a survivor of iatrogenic DID, ritual abuse, and mind control programming from birth on that kept me trapped in a Luciferian co-culture for 39 years. It is very real and I and my husband and children had to literally flee for our lives out of state to escape the slavery. It is extensive and very well organized as even two thousand miles away perpetrators continue to stalk me. The local perpetrators have used specific cues to get at my internal alter systems, which are specific to me and show that my history and my "dossier" is plotted out and passed along, for use by the local group.

I, like most other survivors I know, started having spontaneous recall of abuse of ever increasing severity, without the guidance of a therapist. I have hardly ever "recovered" a memory of abuse in a therapy session. The memories surface constantly due to triggers in my everyday environment. I do know that false memories can be induced and inserted, as I have encountered them in myself. They were not put there by therapists, but by perpetrators for the purpose of confusing my alter selves about people who were perpetrators. These have a different character than genuine memories and are relatively easy to identify as they arise. The other thing my parts were taught to do is to take memories of ordinary activity and splice that into my stream of consciousness to act as a cover for cult activities. I would think that I spent the afternoon shopping, for instance, when somewhere in the middle of that excursion, I would meet with and be abused by perpetrators. In this way, I did not know that any time was missing. The other thing I am capable of doing is to add things onto a recovered memory to make it more tolerable to deal with. This is why I find it important to write down exactly what came out so that I have a clear record of what came from actual memory and what came from my own interpretation of the memory.

I am not negating Sherri's experience here but the problem with this article is that proportionally, there are a whole lot more of us who have survived these unspeakable horrors than those who have had all of this implanted by unscrupulous therapists. It is interesting that main stream publications such as the Wall Street Journal are all too willing to run stories of "dirty therapy" but not willing to hear and write about the testimony of the many actual survivors of these things, and the therapists of integrity that put their reputations and even their own safety on the line to help us.

Stories like this one also make it harder for genuine survivors of this terrible abuse to find help as it frightens therapists away who might otherwise be willing to walk the journey with us. Already, there is scant help available for this kind of thing. If therapists are afraid to help us out of fear of a lawsuit, then our victimization and suffering will continue.

This area is cutting edge and little understood and mistakes are bound to be made, but it seems completely illogical in this skeptical climate for a therapist to engage in this sort of abuse. If they value their livelihood they will most likely be over cautious.

My hope is that discussions such as this can break into mainstream coverage so that our stories can be told, we can have access to genuine help, and the perpetrators held accountable and stopped."

3 comments:

manyfacets said...

Eliana, I hope that this article is read by many and that therapists and other mental health professionals will begin to realize the dire need that exists for those of us who suffer from DID and ritual abuse. Just as important, I pray that more psychiatric help becomes paid for by the insurance companies so that we can truely get the help that is so urgently needed.

A Fellow Survivor

Anonymous said...

I applaude this post and your response to the discussion. I too am a ritual abuse survivor and had my memories long before I even determined to try therapy. You really have a great site here and I will bookmark it.

PolarB ;)

Eliana Hephzibah said...

Thank you PolarB. I am glad that someone gets something out of what I write.

Eliana