Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Riding The Vine

Symbolism connects us on a deep level with who we are.



A few of us here meet regularly for different kinds of prayer ministry. Usually it has to do with my own inner discovery and healing from all that has happened to me in my life. It is an ongoing journey toward freedom and God is the central part of it. During these times of prayer, God seems to guide me frequently in a prophetic way, often through symbolic visions.


The Calamity

One day, recently, we were praying and inquiring of God regarding what God is doing regarding the Church here in America. As we we were praying, I saw in my mind's eye a giant marble pillar holding up a structure.
It was fluted and had an elaborate capital. Suddenly there was an earthquake and the pillar shook violently. The seams where the drums of marble were put on top of each other to create the pillar separated and the pieces shifted back and forth, but the pillar managed to stay standing. After this the pillar was not straight and had the look of being ancient; like a symbol of some gone by era. The sense I had was that the pillar was part of a bigger civilization which was also very much affected by this calamity.

The Vine

Then I saw green ivy growing all along and covering the ground before it then started to climb the pillar, winding its way up and around it all the way to the top. The view of this had the quality of time lapse photography, where one can perceive the fast movements of the sun and shadows as time is sped up. While watching this happening, I heard the words, “I am the true vine”.

The Inquiry


We then asked what we were to do in response to this, and I heard the words, “Abide in Me”. At this point we looked up the bible passage which we knew these words were from. They are as follows:

John 15:1-8
1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.


I, for one, was astounded that the “abide in me” (remain in me in the NIV version) came from this same passage, which I did not have prior knowledge of. We then asked God how we were to “abide in him”. I then had a picture of a very little me, straddling the vine and riding it on its way up the pillar. What I take this to mean is that “riding the vine” so to speak, and abiding in him involves one's mind being in sync with God's mind and purposes. When this occurs, it is more of a passive process of just “riding the vine” wherever it is going. Often, people have their own ideas of where God is going, or where they want him to go, and they ride an offshoot of the main vine. This offshoot eventually gets pruned back and the person gets back on the true vine, or the person gets lost when the offshoot vine dies and gets cut off.
The interpretation of this vision gradually became clearer through prayer and contemplation and will be covered in subsequent posts.

Stay Tuned and ride the Vine...

Links to the rest of the Ride The Vine series:

Part II: The Signs of the Times

Part III: The Symbolic Snapshot

Part IV: The Rise of the Greatest Evil

Part V: As In The Days of Noah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can certainly bear witness that the summary of this vision and interpretation are true. Remaining in Jesus, as you said, is more "passive" and has nothing to do with striving. I have many times gone off on my own tangents to be brought back to the same truth continually: "In returning and rest is your salvation; in quietness and trust is your strength" (Isaiah 30:15). In a world where striving is number one priority, the vision is calling us back to what matters most.

Facetsofus said...

I recently had the privilege of hearing a Christian speaker, Teri Furr, speak at the church I attend. She too, spoke of something very similar to your pillar and made Biblical reference to a passage the Lord gave her that states something to the effect of "because she was not careful, her collapse was awsome". She went on to explain that it was a prophetic warning for us as the church to remain steadfast and aware.

Blessings to you.